Friday, February 26, 2010

Just passing through....


My dad asked me last night if Guatemala was beginning to feel like home. Our apartment is starting to feel like home to me...but the truth is that I have lived and stayed in so many different places in the last 4 years that I am beginning to feel pretty mobile. I feel like the time is passing by so fast as it is, and really we won't be in Guatemala for much longer!
A couple of years ago I really struggled with where my Home is. I can't say that I'm from Honduras because I'm not Honduran. When people ask me what State I'm from, I fumble around my words every time. I don't really know what State I'm from. For awhile I held on so tightly to Honduras being my home that I thought I would be there for the rest of my life. Now my parents don't even live there and neither does Luis! (my "ticket" to living in Honduras for the rest of my life. lol)
The more I think about it, I have to say that it's a privilege to have moved around so much. I know that Papi doesn't want me to be attached to this world and hold on so tightly to one place. My identity is in Christ and my Home is in HIM. It's been so freeing for me to understand that and begin to walk in that truth. I truly can live to the fullest no matter where I am...for I am only passing through. The picture above is where we're living for now. Our apartment is on the lower level.
Papi, help me to live as a stranger here on earth, yet be Your light in all circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. Kara,
    This is beautiful. It reminds me of what a friend recently shared--the advice someone gave her when she moved far from home and family: "Be at home in Jesus; put your roots down deep in the soil of God's love." We'll enjoy keeping up with you a little through this blog.
    Love, Amy (for Erik, Meg, Nate, Kate, and Caleb)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara
    Thank you for setting up a blog! I look forward to keeping up w/ you and Luis through it. Great insights you have already learned about HOME. Thanks for the reminder. Keep posting!
    Love, Aunt Darian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy and Aunt Darian,
    Thanks so much for your comments and encouragement! I'm glad to hear that you'll be following me. It makes me feel closer to you all!

    ReplyDelete

What are your impressions of this post? Share your comments or questions here!