Monday, March 1, 2010

On our door



I live in a mixed world. Not only because I am American and my husband is Honduran, but because we live in Guatemala and we're surrounded by people from different cultures and countries. My neighbor is Albanian and she is married to an El Salvadorian. Upstairs from us there is another couple - he from Spain and she from Uruguay. There are couples from Mexico, Bolivia, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Columbia, to name a few. There is a French girl who is married to a Guatemalan. There is an American guy who is married to a girl from Ecuador. There is a guy from Ecuador who is engaged to a girl from America. There is another girl from America who is married to a Guatemalan. There is a guy from Dominican Republic who is married to a girl from Mexico. If you ask their little boy where he is from, some days he is from Mexico but usually he is from Dominican Republic. Our pastor is from El Salvador and his wife is from Mexico.

Why do I say this? Well, these are the people that God created and I love them. I have a huge, overwhelming feeling that it is not a coincidence that Luis and I live here. And yes, we might have to work through things that people who are from the same culture do not have to. But it gives a wonderful richness to our marriage and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Having been in an interracial marriage, I know all too well what you are talking about and what you are going through.

    Two different cultures and way of life, makes it that much more interesting. Think of the beautiful babies you and Luis will make. I always think that mix marriages makes the most beautiful babies. But of course I'm biased! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that is true! I am excited to see what our kids will look like.

    Thanks for your comment, Auntie A! I think it's neat that we have that in common. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

What are your impressions of this post? Share your comments or questions here!