Saturday, May 8, 2010

In honor of my Mother

"Her children arise and call her blessed." Prov. 31:28a

I am not a momma yet, but I think I understand what a huge responsibility it is to be a mom. Not only do you have to worry about raising your kids in the Lord, training them in righteousness and godliness, keeping them pure and polluted from the world, teaching them godly morals, etc. but you also have to go through many moments of heartache. 

I know my momma did with me. 

I know she ached with sadness when I made wrong decisions or didn't understand her love for me. I know she constantly desired THE VERY BEST for me and hurt for me when I didn't understand that I was settling for less. I saw her cry when I would fight with my sisters. I saw her eyes cringe when I talked back to her or acted out of rebellion. OH. And I'm sure it hurt her when she had to spank me - multiple times throughout the day. It was probably excruciating for her to try to protect my heart throughout my teen years when I didn't quite understand how to guard it. I didn't even mention how hard it must have been just to give birth to me!

But I know my momma doesn't remember the moments of heartache. She is so full of joy and love for her daughters. She knows and understands each one of us. And she supports us according to our own individual needs. She is truly amazing! And she is SO selfless with her daughters. She has always told me that she wants to be my biggest cheerleader. She really is. And she isn't just my biggest cheerleader - she cheers on my dad and every single one of my sisters. 

There are so many things I love about my mom. But I think that one of the things I love most is that she loves Jesus passionately and she hates anything that is dishonoring to Him. I love her laugh, the way she listens wholeheartedly to people, the way she cuddles babies; I love that she cries and her mascara runs when she plays the piano and sings. I love that she loves music and art so much. She is so creative and talented! I love that she really is interested in other people's interests. She really cares about people. I love that she is so hospitable and accepting of everyone. I love her tender, sensitive heart. I love that she is so servant-hearted and never complains about helping others. I love the way she loves and supports my dad. I love that she loves all of her daughters and sons-in-laws so equally and individually. Wow...I have such a wonderful mother!

Oh momma, I love you so much! You are so beautiful and wonderful. I miss your smell and your hugs and your wonderful food. I miss chatting with you for hours and going on errands with you. You are dearly loved and cherished, my momma. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so true and brought me to tears. I only wish I had written it! Well said, Kara!

    ReplyDelete

What are your impressions of this post? Share your comments or questions here!