Sunday, June 20, 2010

I have the best Dad ever...


My dad taught me to read. I didn't think I would ever learn, but he encouraged me and didn't let me give up. He also made me memorize the addition and multiplication tables when I was in 3rd grade. I remember that I would work on my handwriting and bring it to him and he would tell me what to change. He was also the best science teacher I have ever had. We were constantly doing fun experiments with him. He used to be our P.E. teacher as well. We would go on fun bike rides or just stay inside and do calisthenics. My dad would make his own work schedules so that he could teach us several times a week and he always made time to have family nights and take my mom on dates. When I was six, he started doing family devotions with us. He helped us memorize verses  to different tunes he would make up. I still remember the tunes to, "Therefore, we do not lose heart, though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day..." and "The grass withers and the flowers fall but the word of our Lord stands forever and ever."  

I remember when we moved to Honduras. I was my dad's buddy, going all around the city with him to do errands. When we moved out to the hospital, he would take me and my sisters to the hospital to take vital signs and translate for people. I love my dad. He has been my biggest support when I have had to go through trials, always telling me to, "Trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding."

I remember the father/daughter talks he used to have with me in my room. His heart has always been to protect us and support us in everything. When I got married it was a very emotional time for him, but he stood by me and gave me away with so much love and care. 

I have so many other good memories of him....going on special dates, going out to the golf course with him to be his caddy, playing basketball, training our dogs together, going on walks and runs. He taught us how to take initiative in cleaning up things around the house.

I love you, DAD! Thank you for always being there for us and working so hard to provide and protect us. You are truly a godly man of many many talents!! 





1 comment:

  1. This is so true Dad! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete

What are your impressions of this post? Share your comments or questions here!