Thursday, April 7, 2016

Knitted Together In My Womb

I am 17 weeks pregnant now with a little boy! At my last visit, my doctor's office was 70% sure we were having a boy, and today they were 100% sure. Look at the sweet face! I am already so in love with him and can't wait to meet him! And he sure is active! I started feeling him move about a week or so ago and I am feeling him all the time - in fact he could barely hold still for the technician today during the sonogram! 

My doctor also found two soft markers (something seen on the ultrasound that may indicate an increased chance that the baby has Down’s syndrome or another chromosome anomaly but which in itself is probably of little or no significance), but she said she is not at all concerned about it and that the chances of Down's syndrome is very low. These are the markers that were found along with an explanation from Wikpedia:

1) "Echogenic Intracardiac Focus (EIF) - a small bright spot seen in the baby's heart on an ultrasound exam. This is thought to represent mineralization, or small deposits of calcium, in the muscle of the heart. EIFs are found in about 3-5% of normal pregnancies and cause no health problems. EIFs themselves have no impact on health or heart function. Often the EIF is gone by the third trimester. If there are no problems or chromosome abnormalities, EIFs are considered normal changes, or variants." 


"Researchers have noted an association between an EIF and a chromsome problem in the baby. Types of chromosome problems that are occasionally seen include trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome) or trisomy 21 (Down syndrome). In the case of an isolated EIF, and other ultrasound findings, some studies show that the risk for a chromosome abnormality is approximately two times a woman's background risk. Other studies report up to a 1% risk for Down Syndrome when an EIF is seen on a second trimester fetal ultrasound exam."

 2) "Single Umbilical Artery - Occasionally, there is only the one single umbilical artery (SUA) present in the umbilical cord. Approximately this affects between 1 in 100 and 1 in 500 pregnancies, making it the most common umbilical abnormality. It is more common in multiple births. Its cause is not known. 

Most cords have one vein and two arteries. The vein carries oxygenated blood from the placenta to the baby and arteries carry deoxygenated blood from the baby to the placenta. In approximately 1% of pregnancies there are only two vessels - usually a single vein and a single artery. In about 75% of those cases, the baby is entirely normal and healthy and the missing artery isn't missed at all. One artery can support a pregnancy and does not necessarily indicate problems. For the other 25%, a 20vessel cord is a sign that the baby has other abnormalities - sometimes life-threatening and sometimes not. SUA does increase the risk of the baby having cardiac, skeletal, intestinal or renal problems. Babies with SUA may have a higher likelihood of having other congenital abnormalities, especially of the heart. However additional testing can rule out many of these abnormalities prior to birth and alleviate parental anxiety. Echocardiograms of the fetus may be advised to ensure the heart is functioning properly. Genetic counseling may be useful too, especially when weighing the pros and cons of more invasive procedures. 

Although the presence of an SUA is a risk factor for additional complications, most fetuses with the condition will not experience other problems, either in utero or after birth. Especially encouraging are the cases in which no other soft makers for congenital abnormalities are visible via ultrasound." 

Wow, that's a lot to take in! I am so thankful that my God is Almighty and sovereign, and fully trustworthy. He created this baby in His image, He created his inmost being, He's knitting him together in my womb. 

Our baby's frame is not hidden from God as he's being made in the secret place, woven together in the depths of the earth. God's eyes see his unformed body; all his days are ordained before he will even take his first breath. He is fearfully and wonderfully made! 

I can say with confidence that I do not fear the unknown, because I know who the Creator is. May His good and perfect will come to pass in our lives. 

Thank you Father, we praise you for this baby boy! 


  1. Wow what a great clear view of a sweet precious boy on that ultrasound picture! We will definitely be praying for this precious person and his family. May His peace continue to surround you and His joy strengthen you. The Lord goes before you!

  2. Amen, Sharon! We will be praying also for this little one and you all!


What are your impressions of this post? Share your comments or questions here!