Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Inspired by Layers



One of my favorite flowers is plumeria. This tropical flower is so beautiful and I often catch its sweet fragrance a couple hundred feet away while strolling down the road in Honduras. I chose this flower to decorate my wedding cake, adorn my bouquet and sit out in bowls of water - it's so hearty that it didn't wilt in the heat and lasted for days afterwards. How to capture something so beautifully sweet and elegant in a painting? After creating 20+ oil paintings, I was highly discouraged. But then my mother taught me the power of layering. An oil painting needs to have at least 10 layers before it comes alive. After applying layers and layers to the plumeria, I was inspired to paint again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your impressions of this post? Share your comments or questions here!